Sunrise’s Peer University program provides learning and professional development opportunities to individuals in recovery who are interested in using their lived experience to join the workforce as a Certified Peer Support Specialists.
Incarceration, substance use and mental health challenges are typically seen as barriers to employment and economic stability. Peer University helps remove barriers by providing a pathway to not just a job, but a profession. In other words, your record is your resume!
Peer University provides the additional 20-credit hours needed to complete the Peer Support certification process. Graduates are offered opportunities to volunteer and intern at Sunrise as well as gain connection to a strong network of Peer Support Specialists.
Classes are offered at NO COST. Registration is required. Complete the registration form below.
How do I become a Peer Support Specialist?
A Peer Support Specialist can also be called peer specialists, peer recovery coaches, peer advocates, and peer recovery support specialists. This is a credentialed position where your life experience replaces intensive schooling and formal work experience. Peer Support positions often pay above minimum wage and is a pathway to a career for many who face barriers to employment such as incarceration, houselessness, substance use recovery and mental health challenges.
- Up to a year of personal recovery from substance use and/or mental health challenges
- Complete approved 50-hour peer support training program. CLICK HERE for a listing of current trainings offered through VAYA Health at $30. Scholarships may be available if needed.
- Include two reference letters validating at least one year of personal recovery
- Complete an additional 20 hours of continued education through Sunrise’s Peer University, Recovery Coach Training or other professional and interpersonal training sessions.
- Fill out the form below to register for Sunrise’s Peer University Program. If class is full, you will be notified of a waiting list.
The next Peer University session begins
September 19th through October 26th
It will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10AM-12PM
these sessions are offered virtually